View Single Post
Old 08-05-2010, 02:08 PM
  # 55 (permalink)  
recycle
Ethanol Intolerant

Supercrew, I have thought about that a lot. I think the buzz is stronger and more persistent than the inhibition response. Neuro-chemicals don't last very long in the brain, but it is easy get enough alcohol in your system to last hours. So the stimulation lasts hours and the inhibition only lasts minutes.

Similarly, I worked with a hypnosis program that was supposed to help with moderation - it didn't. Although I did learn a lot from that program, after a drink or two it was off to the races.

I don't think we understand alcoholism nearly as completely as we think we do. I have never seen any science on the effects alcoholism on the enteric nervous system. There are a million or so neurons in your abdomen that can act autonomously from your brain but do provide feedback to the brain. If these neurons get as messed up as the ones in your brain by drinks then I think we have more to learn about the physical nature of alcoholism.

All of this is just speculation on my part. EFT may just be a placebo. If this is the case, then as long as it does not replace a viable therapy it does no harm other than to foster an illusion.