Old 08-04-2010, 02:57 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Mark75

Originally Posted by Harry01854 View Post

So it is not so much what the alcoholic may expect of me, but what I would expect of myself if it is someone I love and care about.

In my own honest opinion, and alcohlic early in recovery, vulnerable and weak shouldn't have to expect or even request from a loved one, "not to drink around me and please don't keep alcohol in the house."

Maybe the individual who isn't the alcoholic can use some schooling on the disease of alcoholism.
I love this thread... it's not as relevant as it was to me when I was in early sobriety, but I have my own experience with this issue.

My wife drank around me, first day home from rehab... Did she not love me? Did she not care? Did she not understand alcoholism? Is she alcoholic herself and can't do without? Is she just selfish?

No, No, No, No, and definitely NO!

Like trucker said:

What others drink or not drink has nothing to do with me.......i ceased controlling others behaviour a long time ago...once i got busy with my own.
So.... why didn't she just stop drinking herself? Once I understood what trucker said, I quit wondering..... The answer to that question is now irrelevant because I quit asking it.... And so far, our 26 year marriage (34 year relationship) is holding up fine, despite the fact that I threw our world into turmoil just 2 years ago....

Good stuff. Thanx for this thread and all those who participate!