Old 08-04-2010, 10:55 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
lildawg

Originally Posted by AlcoholicOrNot View Post
Well, unfortunately, it's not a one-size-fits-all.

I completely agree. Something that works for me may not work for another person, and what works for them may not work for me.

Heck, even after 2+ years of sobriety, I still crave scotch anytime I smell it. My husband has a glass of my ex-favorite beverage about once a week, and I want it so bad. I can imagine how silky and smooth it would feel hitting the back of my throat and how it would burn my stomach. Then, I think about what would follow--hours of loud drunkenness, a lost day or perhaps a lost month. Maybe death. Certainly embarrassment to myself and those who love me. And, then, if I survived, making the decision to get sober again . . . or not. I square my shoulders and try to forget that I'd like a glass of scotch. It's getting easier and easier to convince myself that I don't.

It's hard, but I think of it as a character-building exercise. That's just what works for me, though. Another person might tell him he had to go outside to drink it. If I thought he would go outside to drink the scotch (and the beer and the wine and the top shelf tequila), I might try that. The thing is, I know he won't. And that's that.

Staying sober: that's what all of us here want. We all get there any way we can. Nothing in life is really one size fits all. You're so right about that.