View Single Post
Old 08-02-2010, 11:06 PM
  # 317 (permalink)  
artsoul
SR Fan

Hey BobGT! I can certainly relate to that "oh sh!t, not again!" Towards the end of my drinking days, it seemed like I didn't even have to get a buzz to wake up with a bad hangover. It got harder and harder just to feel decent unless I was sipping that wine or beer.

I'm glad you endured the craving and didn't drink. The urges haven't gone away completely for me either. But I just keep reminding myself of all those times waking up, regretting that I drank and just praying that God would help me stop. About a week before I quit for good, there was one morning I spent throwing up. For sure, I didn't want to make a habit of that.

I've got lots of things coming up in the next week, including a couple deadlines and out of town trips. I tend to get overwhelmed when I know I have a lot of stuff to do. These are the times when I want a vacation from my thoughts, and of course alcohol is the first thing to come to mind. It's probably going to take a good bit of time for that automatic response to die. After all, it consumed our attention almost constantly when we were actively drinking. As they say, progress - not perfection. I'm trying to keep it positive, remembering what I have to be greatful for and take things as they come instead of worrying if I'll get it all done.

I was at a deli yesterday and saw the following quote:

Be concerned about your future. You'll spend the rest of your life there.
Hope everyone is well out there - another week sober is another week where great things are possible in our lives! KEEP THE FAITH, MAYFLOWERS!!!!!!