View Single Post
Old 08-02-2010, 08:00 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  
Zencat
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

Originally Posted by recycle View Post
Zencat where is the point in your opinion? What can't you change?

I have been reading a lot about neuro-plasticity. I posted a link in the fitness forum about how learn to juggle has been shown to increase the amount and density of grey matter. I know there must limitations, but there in my own meditation practice I keep seeing unlimited potential for growth in some areas.
What I haven't been able to change is the PTSD symptoms from popping up from time to time. One is I get bad anxiety attacks where my body goes through the typical symptoms...racing heart beat, sweating etc. Yet I'm able to 'just go through it' and do the things I want to do like thrift store shopping in a crowded shop. Yep my anxiety if off the scale but I plod forward. Afterward it feels great to have shopped. And I am more likely to go shopping again. Whereas before I would have left the store as soon as the anxiety hit and felt like do-do because I split before I could shop.

Why heck there was a time when I would have to get loaded on drugs before I would go out of the house. When I didn't have drugs I stayed indoors terrified to leave the house. I used to do grocery shopping at 24 hr markets at 4am (less people in the store) even when I got high enough to get out.