View Single Post
Old 08-02-2010, 04:44 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
ladyamalthea

Originally Posted by bluebelle View Post
Your school doesn't have a policy on FB friending? My place of work has a policy regarding us "friending" patients/former patients.

Actually, no, lol. In fact, I'm not the only teacher at my school who has befriended students, and I am pretty sure my privacy settings are much more restrictive than most of theirs.

I think it is a good idea to notify the administrator. You might need some direction on how to proceed with something that happens outside of school hours. Maybe there is some precedent in your district?
I do know that a girl was dismissed from basketball last winter for smoking at school, but that was at school. I have a hunch that, since I can't prove she actually drank, very little will happen on that front, but I definitely still plan to report this just in case.

You talked to the student's mother, which is a good thing to do. You could address this issue with all of your cheerleaders. Drinking is a common problem, and some parents think it is o.k. and normal for teenagers to drink.

I agree that the squad could be a positive influence for her. You coudl talk to her, but you can't save her. She may choose to go down this path whether or not you try to help her.

Thanks for the encouragement. I know I can't save her, or any of my other students who choose this behavior. All I can do is be a positive influence and pray for the best.