View Single Post
Old 08-02-2010, 12:15 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
URMYEVERYTHING

Originally Posted by ladyamalthea View Post
Coffee- actually, most coaches at my school have the kids run as a consequence for bad behavior, missing practice, etc. This is a very standard way of doing things.
I remember getting caught smoking a cigarette behind the school one day and I was caught by my track coach of all people. He had me running for hours and hours and I had to stay late in order to stay on the team. I didn't smoke anymore cigs the rest of the season but it surely didn't prevent me from smoking them later in life. Quit now for 10 years but still!

The only other suggestion I would say is to speak with the guidance counselor in the school and/or SAC (Substance Abuse Counselor) to notify them of your concern. That way you have reported it to a responsible adult within the school system and they can contact the parents and follow up if they need to send her to a program to be evaluated. Calling the parents was a good move but as I see in my profession from day to day, the parents are sometimes engaging in stuff they shouldn't and will not follow up to not call attention on what's really going on in their household. By reporting it to the counselor, you take the responsibility off of you in the event this child gets high on campus, brings drugs on campus, etc.