View Single Post
Old 08-02-2010, 06:12 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
ladyamalthea

Young drinkers/addicts

So, I went to check my facebook page yesterday, and one of my cheerleaders had posted to her status several messages within a few hours that said she was drinking. It was stuff like, "tequila. daiquiris." and "mamma clubbin' tonight. Babysittin. Imma get w***ed on tha job."

I immediately called her mother to tell her about this.

*Before I start getting lectures about getting involved, please remember that, as a teacher, I can lose my job and get sued for everything I have if I hear something like this and don't report it to the parent or to someone higher than me in the school.*

Anyways, momma said that she had been out that night, but that her mother (girl's grandma) had been home with the kids all night, and that the girl could not possibly have drank. Even though I know that the mom is probably in denial, my only response was to remind her that, even if the girl was just talking big, she can't be saying stuff like that on a public forum and not expect a consequence. Mom agreed and assured me that she would deal with her end of it this afternoon when she gets home from work.

This is a little different from having someone who engages in this behavior in my classroom. When they are in my class, as long as I have reported it, I can go back to minding my own business, as long as they are not showing signs that they need immediate medical attention while in my room. But, as their coach, part of me feels like I need to at least make her run laps after practice tomorrow for this blatant lack of regard for how this makes the team look. Not to mention the blatant disregard for any and all common sense.

I know that I can't save her if she's an alcoholic any more than I can save my sister from addiction. But where is the line between doing my job and going too far?

And I realize that drinking one night does not make someone alcoholic. I'm not labeling her as one, because I don't know. Either way, her behavior isn't exactly comforting.