Old 08-01-2010, 11:05 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
DesertEyes

Hello there yadayda, and pleased to "meet" you

Originally Posted by yadayada View Post
....I don't feel comfortable giving him any answers or advice on sobriety.....
That jumped out at me like a _huge_ red flag. The whole point to AA, and other programs of recovery, is that us alkies find other alkies to be our "support" system. Twisting our family, friends and relationships into a substitute support system is just a devious little way of justifying a retreat from the honesty of a real program.

The other red flag I see in your descriptions is that it's only been four months and you are _already_ uncomfortable. What's it going to be like after 4 years? or 40?

Originally Posted by yadayada View Post
Is conventional therapy ever the answer, or does it need to be someone/a group that specializes in addiction/alcoholism?.....
There's all kinds of different ways. There's groups just for us adults who were raised in "toxic" families, check out our forum "next door"

Adult Children of Addicted/Alcoholic Parents - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

There's sub-groups of al-anon that specialize just in parent issues, there's groups that are similar to al-anon such as CODA, there's therapy clinics that run their own groups, there's churches that have their own programs. Or you could just hang out here in computer-land and chit-chat with us

Mike