View Single Post
Old 07-31-2010, 05:54 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
kelsh

Thumbs up Is alcohol your symptom or your problem??

I do have to say it is both. When I would try to quit drinking through the years I addressed the alcohol only...simply put I would quit my medication for my depression/anxiety to drink so was actually self-medicating my depression.

When I went to in-patient alcohol treatment in the 1970's they did not even want to discuss my depression problem that I had since a teen. They went on the premise that the alcoholism caused the depression.

I also had the predisposition for alcoholism & depression on my Maternal side of my family although my Mom did not drink & then my Dad had a problem with alcohol in his later years after my brother & I were on our own.

The second time I asked for help with my alcoholism & depression/anxiety I was given treatment for both at the same time with a counselor for each problem. It worked very well for me. I also attended AA & the first year of sobriety I worked very hard to get my life in an order of such that I could stay sober. That always was the hard part for me.

It has been 22 years of Sobriety & 22 years of follow-ups for my depression & anxiety with my gp & a counselor for some situational depressions. I take antidepressants every day & have a lot of little tricks to use with meditation & the Serenity Prayer. I have found that being able to handle my emotions surrounding the issues that cannot be changed has been very helpful for me.

So that is how it is for me. I am busy as I can be with my arthritis but if I need to have a relaxing day I can do that too. I have learned through the years to try to keep myself in "Today" & the rest gets taken care of eventually with the perverbial "Lightbulb coming on"!!!

kelsh