View Single Post
Old 07-31-2010, 08:39 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
LexieCat
A work in progress

If you have liver problems, you are most definitely NOT on the right track.

My former husband was diagnosed with EARLY cirrhosis after almost dying during an acute withdrawal, and he was told he'd be fine as long as he never drank again. I did a LOT of research on liver disease, and learned that once liver damage has occurred, you are risking death from the disease unless you stop entirely. Not everyone who drinks heavily will have liver damage--just as not everyone who smokes gets lung cancer. Liver damage is nothing to mess around with.

I, too, was able to "control" my drinking on an occasional basis, but I wasn't able to do it on a consistent basis. I also have a touch of neuropathy in my hands and feet that I believe was caused by drinking--two years later it persists. I think it will never go away. But I think it, too, would have progressed if I had kept drinking.

And the "no brain damage" is a big YET.

I think you are playing with fire if you keep drinking. I'm not a doctor, but your doctor has told you to stop. Why not ask your doctor whether it's OK to drink once a week or so? I have a feeling I know what he or she will say.