View Single Post
Old 07-29-2010, 07:32 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
SereniTee

Physical fitness returning

2 months clean & sober and I am swim training for a surf trip I would never have been able to afford a few months ago.

I have to get my front stroke really good for fighting the waves on the surfboard, I have never been surfing and I am quite a nervous and weak swimmer.

On Monday I could do 20 lengths front stroke in 30 mins but had keep my head above the water the whole time as I am fearful of breathing wrong or swimming into people. Now on Thursday I did 25 lentghs in the same time and managed the proper breathing for most of it. I am getting better at it every day.

That's the point, I have been every single day since Monday. Never would have happened before. I would never have stress management tools and meditation techniques to help me face the fear of hitting things with my head under the water. I would be too hungover and stoned and benzo'd out to bother challenging myself to go a little faster and get a little better every day.

Most of all, I wouldn't be training at all because I wouldn't have any money to have booked the trip I need to train for.

I love how sobriety penetrates into every little nook of life. My lunch hours from work are a haven in the pool, they used to just be a rush home to use and drink for an hour.

Just wanted to share