Thread: My Only Child
View Single Post
Old 07-28-2010, 09:11 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
ladyamalthea

(((mamatwerp)))

Welcome!

My experience is a little different because the addict in my life is my sister, who is in her early 20's (five years younger than me). So, while I can't offer advice as a parent, I can share with you what I have watched my parents do in hopes of curing my sister.

Unfortunately for them, they became so addicted to saving her, that they pretty much lost everything to her addiction. They have lost their home, their valuables, and (sometimes I think) their sanity.

I'm not trying to discourage you. Far from it. I guess all I'm saying is that I have seen what addiction can do to the rest of the family, and that the meetings that others are encouraging you to get to just may be the best thing you could do. My parents live over an hour away from me, and if my mom called me tomorrow and asked me to take her to one, I would drop everything I was doing and give her a ride. I would give anything if it meant they would work on their own recovery, and those meetings are the best thing for most of us.

I have gone to a few meetings myself here recently, and words cannot express how comforting they have been. And it really doesn't matter which one you go to... nar-anon is supposed to be more for loved ones of addicts, and al-anon for loved ones of alcoholics. But it's the same program, and my al-anon group loves me just the same as if alcohol was my sister's problem instead of heroin.

One of the biggest motivators I have right now to keep working on my recovery is that I want to be strong enough to keep a clear head on my shoulders no matter what my family is doing, and working on me is the only way I can get there.