View Single Post
Old 07-27-2010, 05:42 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
kelsh

Red face Dealing with recovering father?

My father & mother did some drinking for about a three year period then quit because my Mom felt it was getting out of hand. My Grandmother (My Mom's Mother) lived with us from our grade school years on through highschool & the year I graduated from High School she upped & stopped.

My Dad always had a six pack of beer on the back porch but only had one or two before supper. He didn't get into alcoholic drinking until we were out on our own & married. I know he started drinking at work & his supervisor came to talk to my Mom about it. He was ready to lose his job & was close to his retirement.

So Mom & my brother talked to him about it and they sent him to a hospital type setting due to his heart disease. He had one heart attack already and did have another one when he quit drinking. He never took a drink after his treatment. Mom & I went through the family program with him & she stayed with us the month he was in treatment.

There is a lot of information on the Internet & of course Alanon & Alateen for family members of the alcoholic. But as was said before, he is the only one that can decide he needs help & follows through with it through his doctor or even AA Meetings. He must feel scared & angry at himself because he can't help but know what he is doing to you and the rest of the family helping you.

The disease of Alcoholism is just that & most of the time this person has to do this for himself...recognize that he has a problem & needs help.

I didn't catch your age but you are lucky you have an Aunt & Uncle to help you. My brother & I eventually became alcoholics & I quit 22 years ago. My Brother quit before my Dad & stayed sober 14 years but had a 10 year suspended prison sentence over his head. He started drinking again & got into a crowd of friends that used drugs so he has been trying to stay sober & is off the meth....but he is 68 & I will be 70 in two months.

I have Chronic Depression/Anxiety so have to take care to keep myself balanced out & keep my stress level as low as I can manage.

I am so sad about your Mother....it must be lonely for you. I am glad you have your aunt to help you. Life is so scary when things are different...I loved my Grandma so much & didn't want to be like her but I did become like her until I got the guts to ask for help.

During my childhood I couldn't invite friends over because we never knew what would be happening next. Later I learned that my best girlfriend's Mom drank daily so you just never know how many friends & family members one alcoholic can affect.

kelsh