View Single Post
Old 07-27-2010, 09:38 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks Jamison!

That's a keeper for sure.

You mentioned about your fear of going to an AA meeting. I've only been to one (so keep that in mind). There seem to be a number of types of meetings. The one I went to was a Speaker meeting which was very pain-free.

I got to the room and was welcomed by a couple of friendly people. The meeting started and it was a bit "church-like" at first. Then the leader of the meeting went over some procedural matters (summer bbq etc). And finally a speaker got up and gave a 30 minute talk about his experiences in recovery. Then the Lord's prayer at the end and out we went. Just under one hour.

At no time did feel the need (or had the opportunity) to share with the group. They did ask if there were any newcomers who needed a copy of the Big Book. I already had a copy so I didn't stick up my hand.

I'm just posting this type of meeting may be a good ''icebreaker" for you if you want to get involved with AA.

AA vets on SR please jump in if there's anything to add, but that's my take based on a grand total of one meeting.