Thread: Am I "sober"?
View Single Post
Old 07-20-2010, 02:56 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
AWOL

Hi Harry and congrats on being sober. I don't think you need to feel a fraud or feel guilty by collecting your chip. Clearly, the common denominator in alcoholism and drug abuse is addiction, and what helped me a lot in a circumstance similar to yours was researching and understanding addiction and the addictive personality. I think a good way of undermining addiction is to understand the nature of the beast, and then to take it apart limb by limb. You've already started that process by becoming sober. I've been addicted to most things, including nicotine, alcohol, gambling, trading (yes, I discovered trading the stock market can be a form of addictive behavior). Recognizing these as manifestations of my addictive personality helped me take on each one, and only one addiction is still part of my addictive personality (trading). I hope you recognize your sobriety as an amazing turnaround in your life, and one that will ultimately persuade you to quit coke. Anyways, go for it,and good luck.