Thread: Am I "sober"?
View Single Post
Old 07-18-2010, 04:01 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
HarryB

Originally Posted by Bamboozle View Post
Well, if you aren't drinking you're sober. If you are using you are...what's the word...using?

Maybe try NA meetings too?

I'm overweight and argueably a food addict...but cutting out the booze has been and still is huge for me. I'm proud I don't drink.

Congratulations on your sober time!

Hope you can get off the coke soon. And remember, all of this label play going on in your brain...please don't use it as an excuse to drink again.
NA meetings haven't gelled very well for me, I often find them triggering and having the majority of the group with a different DOC alienates me. I prefer to stick to AA because it's simpler and I don't feel spread too thinly. Going to both NA and AA should make me realise both problems are as serious but it actually does the opposite and makes me constantly compare and rate them in severity.
The label confusion is playing havok with my brain, I suppose it's the alcoholic part clutching at straws for reasons to drink.
I am a food addict too, I am bulimic. That also causes confusion for me when it comes to considering myself clean/sober etc. I never know if I have the 'right' to consider myself in recovery when I'm still engaging in bulimic behaviours. I don't know whether abstaining from one of my addictions is good enough and worthwhile on its own or whether it gives me a false sense of accomplishment that leads me further into my other addictions.