Old 07-16-2010, 07:24 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
timeheals

How do you tell when "it" is affecting the children?

I have 4 children, 2,3,8 & 14. Also have 2 Step children, 6 & 8. I had it in my head that provided it wasn't adversly affecting the kids, that I could cope with all the rest.

For me I think the younger ones are oblivious to their fathers drinking. He doesn't get drunk and rant and rave at them. Although at times he can be a bit short with them. At the moment my main concern is my 14 year old son, who thinks the sun shines out of step fathers bottom!
I have for so long wanted to talk to my son about it, but for whatever reason felt like I couldn't. Tuesday night AH wasn't home so I said to my son;
"Does Dad's drinking ever worry you"
"No"
"What about when he gets abit cranky with you?"
"Oh yeah, but I can get over that"
"Can you really get over it"
"yeah, and anyway mum he is cutting down"
"How would you know if he is cutting down?"
"cause I asked him the other night, I noticed he hasn't been drinking as much"
"And he told you he was cutting back?"
"yes, and anyway he only drinks half a bottle a night"
I nearly fell off the chair! I seriously did not realise that my son knew that AH drank over half a bottle of Whiskey a night!
I said "You do realise that it's not good for you to drink that much every night?"
My son says "No, Why?"
I explain to him the affects on the body mind and soul.

Last thing I want is for my children to think that it is "normal".

Just wanting other peoples experiences as to when people realised the alcoholic in the family was having a negative impact on the children? Especially when there is no abuse towards the children.