Old 07-16-2010, 01:14 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
artsoul
SR Fan

Welcome huntwc! Congratulations on 11 days and welcome to SR!

I don't go to AA presently, but have in the past. Alot of people wonder about the God factor, and I'm sure you'll get a lot of opinions on this. My two cents worth is that you should just try a meeting out and see what you think. Personally, my definition of God (or a Higher Power) is more like some kind of universal connection/energy/love than it is about the traditional ego-judgmental figure. So I have no problem saying the Lord's Prayer (which they say at the end of the meeting).

The steps also involve turning over your life/will/sobriety to a Higher Power, but that can be anything you choose. It could be the power of the group, AA itself, Love, Hope, or a door knob, if it works for you! The whole point of that is because we realize that we can't stop drinking on our own without some kind of support. Even if you don't know what you believe, or have a more spiritual definition of things, most people don't have a problem.

The meetings typically involved sharing, discussing a subject (like patience, relapse, or whatever), or a speaker who generally shares their experience getting sober. It's super casual and it's a great place to meet other sober folks.....

Hope that helps! Again, welcome!