View Single Post
Old 07-12-2010, 01:31 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
keithj

The pamphlet that Dee linked really says all that needs to be said. Please note that while the official AA stance is that medication decisions need to be between doctor and patient, there are some serious and problematic warnings contained in that official stance.

I think it is foolish to take the close minded opinion that this is none of anyone's business in AA.

When I invite a sponsor to become part of my life, to guide me spiritually, and to give me honest feedback based on their experience, I am opening the door for their opinions.

The reason I do that is because I want their help to grow spiritually. I want them to show me what I can not see for myself. As an alcoholic, I have a great capacity for justification, rationalization, and mistrust. It is very easy for me to fall into a 'screw everybody, I'll just do what I think is best' attitude when I feel criticism.

The fact is, that benzos, opiates, and other narcotics have proved very problematic for most alcoholics. That pamphlet makes this point clearly. I've known many alkies that have unintentionally back-doored their way right back into active, full blown addiction through the doctor-directed, well-intentioned, proper use of those medications.

Likewise, I know many alcoholics that couldn't get sober until they were willing to give up the sleep aids and anti-anxiety meds.

The reverse is true as well. Many alcoholics have other issues that need treatment and counseling. My point is that an experienced sponsor (not a rigid one that claims universally NO MEDS) can help sort out where somebody is spiritually.

If the intent is to help someone grow into a contented sobriety, there is no threat from medications. Whether they are taken or not. Another thing on the table just like relationships, careers, etc. Let's look at where we are spiritually and see what that indicates, instead of the 'none of your business' approach.

There is nothing to be scared of.