View Single Post
Old 07-12-2010, 05:45 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
SereniTee

Hey I am in AA and the people that are being negative about meds that are prescribed are just wrong. That said, your doctor prescribing you addictive pills for your problems is a dangerous area as an addict you can very easily fall into dangerous territory. After being refused further Valium I bought it illegally and took over 10X my medicated dose. It's just what addicts do, so be careful.

I am clean and sober now nearly 2 months but am still taking anti-depressants as prescribed by my doctor for Generalised Anxiety Disorder. Without these I would certainly relapse. They are not addictive or habit forming and so are safer for addicts to take. My 1st sponsor wouldn't take me through the steps while I was on them but my new one will as giving up drink is enough without having to worry about all of that too. Obviously everyone in the world including AA would say it is best to come off of everything eventually but 1st things 1st. Just keep taking the meds exactly as prescribed, taking them outside of the parameters of what your doctor has said is abusing your sobriety. Be very careful with Benzos, they are more addictive than alcohol.

The people in your AA group shouldn't be judging you, but some will. Just like in life, everyone is different. Stick with people who are supportive but who try to help guide you in a positive direction, and that doesn't include making you feel guilty or like an outsider for following doctor's orders.

Good luck with it