View Single Post
Old 07-09-2010, 08:13 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Rowan

Well, as has been suggested, it wasn't a 'forever' type of thing, it was a 'today' or 'one day at a time' thing.

Having said that, I had to really want sobriety. When I first heard people talk about getting sober, hearing that word, 'sober', was so strange. I could identify with being sober only in the sense that I needed to sober up so I could drive home, or so I could go to work, face the boss, the ex husband, take care of my kids, etc. Being sober was a temporary state of being, not a permanent condition.

But, when I decided I wanted to live my life differently, for good, and was willing to make some BIG changes, only then did it become possible.

It's like, one day, when my daughter was 11, she said, 'Mom, I'm going to become a vegetarian.' and I supported her wholeheartedly. Later in the day, though, we passed a hot dog vendor, and she asked me to buy her one. I explained to her that a hot dog was meat, and I thought she was now a vegetarian. She grew quiet, then said, 'I guess I don't want to be a vegetarian after all, then.' It's kind of a silly analogy, but it kind of illustrates my point. It wasn't important enough to my daughter to change her behaviour.

Is being sober important enough to you? If it is, you will take appropriate action, and make it happen.