View Single Post
Old 07-09-2010, 05:14 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Fandy

when I have bad days my pets are my salvation. i've always had cats (Slim the Maine Coon is 14), Fandy who is my Avatar is 3 and Pookie is about 1 year 3 mos....they are always with me when i'm home.

i stopped drionking in Februry but still struggle at times,( i have a lot on my plate with the end of a long relationship and my mother suffers from advancing dementia).

In May I decided to adopt a dog through Petfinder and a local rescue group....someone small and energetic who needs attention, affection and walks....the little Pom is a great addition to my recovery. Most days we are out the door for a walk early in the morning, we watch TV together and it's hard to resist his happy personality. He is high energy and if I was drinking I certainly couldn't walk him properly, he would trip me....This dog deserves a sober owner and a decent level of care.

I am glad I can say that due to increased sobriety and the dog, my depression (which triggers more drinking) is markedly less....even the silly act of putting a fresh bright bandanna on the dog (Sammy) every day is a small, simple pleasure.

it sure beats sitting around on my butt with a bottle and wine glass.