Thread: I was triggered
View Single Post
Old 07-01-2010, 09:19 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Freedom1990

Originally Posted by Hammerhead View Post
I'm looking at this from a different perspective...

for me... two things popped out...

#1... "Pretty immediate click"... if this happens to me again... I'm running the opposite direction.

#2... if we're still having codie reactions... is it wise to get involved?

I certainly don't want to be a downer... it just seems that if it's important for the alcoholic/addict to not get involved in a relationship early in recovery... shouldn't the same apply to codies?

If we have these triggers... they are indicators that we are not well yet.

Don't get me wrong... I'm all for rainbows, moving on and happy endings... for me... right now if anything breathes on one of my triggers... and it goes off... it reminds me I have a ton of work left to do... on me.

I'm in agreement on all of this.

I haven't a 'click' from anyone in years, and yes, I have done some dating. I considered the absence of a click good. That was completely foreign to me until a lot of work was done on self.

The 'uber communicators' jumped out at me too. Tons of texts/emails/phone calls would be a huge red flag for me personally if I was engaging with someone in that way, especially being just a week and a half into knowing each other. That would indicate to me that I was still trying to fill a hole within that I hadn't yet learned to fill myself.

When I finally started dating again, I had no desire for mass communication. There were no 3 hour phone calls. I was glad to come home at the end of the date, and didn't give it a second thought.

I had finally come to a place in my recovery where I didn't need outside validation. My dates were no more significant in my life than going to work each day, or shopping for groceries. Of course I enjoyed being taken out for supper and a movie, but when it was over at the end of the day, that was that!

I never understood what balance or being healthy was in a relationship until I made a firm commitment to leave men alone and do some long-term and hard work internally.