View Single Post
Old 06-29-2010, 07:53 AM
  # 440 (permalink)  
livefierce

Anybody else found new healthy addictions since getting sober?
La Croix sparkling water.

I had a friend visit this weekend from out of town, and we stayed up late Friday night talking. When the discussion got serious, I even joked, "I need another drink!" and grabbed another water.

And that goes to another common theme I see on these boards: friend support. I've explained to some people -- people in my life whose opinions actually matter to me -- that I'm not drinking. As to the "why," I tend to lead with excuses like health and weight loss before really getting to the nut of my nightly two-bottles-of-wine habit. The kind, encouraging, hopeful, supportive, awesome support I've gotten from my sister and brother-in-law and the aforementioned friend reinforced for me that those who really love me and want the best for me will react in a positive way.

And MelindaFlowers, what you shared about your baby shower experience shows us one more valuable lesson, I think. We can also be a quiet example to others secretly struggling with the shame and fear we know so well.

I know I was terrified at the idea of losing my wine. But when I walked up to the refrigerated wine section of the grocery store Sunday night, I was terror-struck with the idea of buying wine and taking it home! What a great feeling to prefer sobriety and no longer live in fear!