View Single Post
Old 06-29-2010, 03:20 AM
  # 437 (permalink)  
MelindaFlowers

Originally Posted by traderjane View Post
I know that it won't always be this easy, but I am hoping that I have started re-training my brain about what to crave. Has anyone else experienced anything like this?

Okay, must crash. Good night, friends!
Hi Traderjane!

I think I am starting to get a sense with myself about retraining the brain about what to crave. Two weeks ago I bought a huge bag of lifesavers at the store and suck on them all evening.

A few evenings they have ran out and I find myself getting dressed again just to go to the store and get more. My teeth might get rotten and fall out but at least I'll be sober so I can drive safely to the dentist.

I've been drinking cranberry tonics like they're going out of style. My drink of choice was always the hard stuff and soda so I find that having the fizziness is a nice fix. It's weird though: sometimes I look at my glass sitting on the coffee table (looking at it right now) and picture there being alcohol in it, even as I take a sip. Not in the wishing way at all, but just the expectation/normalcy of it.

Someone else on here mentioned something about "starving the beast." This helps me to get a visual of what the craving is (when they come) and just saying no. Inevitably they will get weaker with time, which is reassuring.

Anybody else found new healthy addictions since getting sober?