View Single Post
Old 06-27-2010, 10:02 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Toronto68

Drk, I have had a problem with myself for a long time in the "getting a life" department. I am still not thrilled about it in the aftermath of my quitting, but I am not that bothered by it either, since getting rid of alcohol is/has been an important step for me.

On the bright side, I would say that looking at others' going on with life is a good thing to encourage you to stay active. There is a lot to life we have been out of while drugging ourselves.

On the precautious side though, I would also say to be careful with that, because when we look at others getting on with their life, that can lead to focusing on a personal void in us and then romanticizing alcohol as a friendly resource again. This happened to me several years ago when I made a brief effort to quit during a move to a new city. (That brief quit reverted to regular drinking, then moderation; then a violent descent into drinking and the addiction really made its presence known and it stayed that way for about 8 years.)

I seem to be beyond that romanticization nowadays, but I bear in mind the past: I don't allow what others can do (and should I too?) to get in my way. I think you are the one who said a while back "there is no way in 9 hells I am going to ruin things with drinking again". If so, then hang on to that thinking, and remember that we made ourselves sick (or sicker) with drinking, and now we are getting better. Our spirirts take time to get stronger. If you're like me, that is.

So, do what you can to feel like you are an active participant in life, without alcohol and don't punish yourself if you take long to figure it out. If something counts as a good step to you, then see a reason for congratulations in it and let it add up with other small things. Sometimes I think of it as ants hauling small fibers to their home - all that small activity adds up!