View Single Post
Old 06-27-2010, 04:52 AM
  # 80 (permalink)  
zbear23

Originally Posted by gerryP View Post
Exactly Tellus.

Yeahg8.......AA is NOT for everyone....period....full stop. It has nothing to do with ego and it has nothing to do with having your head up your ass. AA is NOT the only way as there are a number of programs offered that succeed in reaching the goal of sobriety.

It is comments such as yours that point to the small mindedness of AA. Our way or the highway, Black and white, nothing in between. AA'ers speak of not having all the answers (why would they) and humility, yet you demean your members and hold on to the idea that if anyone doesn't like AA, or finds fault in the program or can make a decision that it's not for them, something is wrong with them. Certainly not the Almighty fellowship of AA.

I spent 2 years in AA (would like to use another word to describe it) I was a greeter, Worked in the kitchen, was librarian and Secretary as well as a sponsor to 2 other members. I think I put some time in and like Tellus, it was doing more harm than good.

I could go on...but I won't. I'm not trying to be argumentative.
I think that any group with an "our way or the highway" attitude is simply giving voice to the ancient tribalism that assumes that the "other" is the enemy. It's not helpful, but understandable. Those dedicated to AA seldom have the opportunity to hear the experience, strength and hope of sober alcoholics who are not AA members, so it's easy to assume that AA is the only way that works. Everyone thinks their way is best, otherwise they'd try some other way!

I was an AA member for five years and it "didn't work for me." But I thought it was working until I relapsed. In retrospect, I realize that I lacked the humility to simply do the program exactly as directed in the BB...without making any modifications or exceptions. Once I became willing to do the AA program instead of the "zenbear" program, I was able to remain sober. IMO..."rarely have we seen a person fail who has THOROUGHLY followed our path:" it wasn't AA that didn't work. It was me who didn't work it.

It's been many years since I felt like I needed meetings in order to remain sober, although I still attend a few because I enjoy being with people of like mind. I'm not cured, but I am recovered. As it says in the beginning of the BB....I have recovered from a seemingly hopeless state of mind and body. AA never suggested it was a lifetime sentence. The notion of being "recovering" rather than "recovered" originated with a treatment industry that is financially invested in re-treating people, over and over again.

Hows THAT for a can of worms??? LOL

blessings
zenbear