View Single Post
Old 06-25-2010, 05:39 AM
  # 62 (permalink)  
NEOMARXIST

I have found that my "confessing" (not a term I empathise with) to be an alcoholic gives me total and utter stength as opposed to giving my addiction power. The compulsion and desire to drink alcohol is long since removed. But I know it would be back if I don't live in my recovery.

Many of the people who I have seen struggling at meetings are those that still are fighting with their 'ego' for some reason and not totally accepting what they are ie- an alcoholic.

I can say that I am a dirty, lowdown, messy, blackout alkie and feel no shame at all. Quite the opposite in fact. This reminds me what I would be if I ever took another drink and also makes me feel gratitude as to where I've come from. I truly ain't ashamed of my journey as it was my journey. I am now a very grateful recovering alcoholic. But an alcoholic I will always be. It gives me strength to know that too.

Obviously everybody is different but I am so glad that I was able to embrace my alcoholism and thus recover as opposed to somehow feeling like it was a burden and a negative thing. Sure at the time in active addiction I did some bad things and was mentally f*cked but it has enabled me to be so much more self-aware, insightful to life and generally peaceful, serene and contented. Most of the time! haha.

Increase The peace