View Single Post
Old 06-24-2010, 08:09 PM
  # 52 (permalink)  
DayTrader
12-Step Recovered Alkie

I too haaaaaaated 99% of the one-liners. A lot of them I'm still not fond of but for different reasons than I disliked them for early on.

I had "issues" with each and every step in the program. The only one that didn't really bother me was 5 (I know..... odd, isn't it?).

Anyway, I was told, I believed, and I still believe that "the program of AA works." For it to work, I have to work the program and the program IS the 12 steps. So.....for me......if I want the "guaranteed" relief, happiness, and growth of the program, I have to work it all. That means, to me, that I have to work all the steps. Sure, some I'm not good at working at all (yet) but I need to be working on my willingness to try to work them better.

The "one day at a time" comment was right-on-time though. You're right, you don't have to swallow it all right now. For the steps that really bug the crap outta you, do some reflecting on whether it makes sense or not to be willing (or more willing) to at least try them. I found, when I reflected, that what I thought was right and wrong landed me here in the first place so maybe my best judgment wasn't to be trusted.