View Single Post
Old 06-24-2010, 07:06 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Galago

Thanks, Sobermax, for starting this thread with some interesting thoughts, and for everyone's comments, I have a lot to think about here too.

I am an atheist. I'm not Richard Dawkins hardcore, just a person who was born without that "God gene" because my whole life I haven't been able to come to any awakening or sense that someone or something is out there designing everything. Just as others say that they know God, I my bones tell me in the greater universe I am nothing except for a collection of elements and cells.

Having said that, this thinking allows me the freedom to make my own meaning though life experience, love, kindness, family, friends, work, etc. I'm happy to simply exist. Unfortunately until monday morning this thinking also allowed me to continue through 10 years of destructive alcoholism.

I'm on my third day of AA. And the God stuff does bother me, so does the writing and logic (I hold a Political Theory major BA), frankly I won't really read into that stuff until I'm ready (maybe I never will), but I can tell you right now that if I don't keep going to those meetings and connecting with people with whom I can relate I have NO DOUBT that I will pick up a drink again. For me right now AA is serving the purpose and facility of my sobriety, along with my addiction counselor and the folks on this fabulous site.

I believe (hey look at that, I believe in something!) that one day I my 'view' of our world and existence, sober, will help me realize that peacefulness and calm that one of the commentators mentioned. If AA helps me get there, I'll take it.

Hope that adds something to your thoughts here!
-G