View Single Post
Old 06-24-2010, 02:36 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
endlesspatience

Goodbye computer

Last week, I made a hard decision. I chose to get rid of my home computer. I had been thinking about doing this for some time because I have come to realise that it was standing in the way of my recovery.

Basically, I like to drink and surf the web and when I am binging these sessions can last a long, long time. When I'm drinking, my inhibitions are removed and I am then drawn into chatrooms, adult sites and erotic forums which reinforce my addictive behaviour. I don't want to binge like that any more.

Obviously it was hard to get rid of the computer becuase I also use it for SR, some work things, a lot of social things and for listening to music. But I simply did not have the strength to stop viewing the sexual material online.

A few months ago, I cancelled my internet connection for a few weeks but restored it when I felt lonely. That's not going to be an option now the computer has physically been removed by a friend to whom I explained the problem.

I can still go online at work and usually have some private time each day to come into the forum if I need to. But that's it for me at home. One immediate benefit is that the area where the computer and keyboard used to be is now all clean and tidy for the first time in years. I think I may buy some flowers and put them in a vase where the monitor used to be.

Has anybody else taken such drastic action to break the link between surfing and drinking?