View Single Post
Old 06-23-2010, 07:31 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Benjamin33

Originally Posted by Zebra1275 View Post
There's been a lot of good advice given so far. I've got experience with depression and have found that one thing that really helps me is exercise. Find something physical you enjoy doing (for me it was tennis).

At my AA meeting tonight someone described alcoholism as a disease of isolation. That hit home for me. Get out of your house. Since you are single and have a profession that is portable, can you move to a larger city?
Theoretically, I could. It would be difficult, but possible. I have been looking for job opportunities, but it there is simply not that much out there. The legal profession is funny in that way. They don't hire in the traditional sense, generally. I may have blacklisted myself as well. What is pissing me off, though is the fact that I am not necessarily confined to practice law. I also have an undergraduate degree in business and a lot of experience in business matters. But I can't seem to find any decent opportunities. There are decent sized cities within an hour and I would love to move to any of them provided I could obtain gainful employment there. I really do have a lot to offer. This would be the first time in my life that I could devote all of my energies to my work, rather than have to compromise between my work and drinking. Its a shame really.

I would love to see what I could do sober. I have always been successful in the practice of law when my alcoholism wasn't so bad that I had difficulty making it to work. That is what is so daMMN frustrating to me. Here I am sober, extremely willing and able to do good work that would be beneficial to all involved and I am stuck in the country feeling sorry for myself. Thanks for showing interest in my situation.

Another thing that worries me a little is that I have heard that many people who think that one if one single aspect of their life would improve, then all the others would follow suit. Right now, that one thing for me is work and money for me. I feel like if I could go back to work and begin making money again that everything would be ok.

And its not just about money. Its really more about feeling useful and productive. Even though I have worked very little, I have probably billed more money in the last two months than the average person makes in this geographical location. But average is not enough for me. And I haven't been paid yet, so I am still broke until that comes through.