View Single Post
Old 06-21-2010, 03:16 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Wilde10

brdobu,
I had never done the Michigan alcohol test until today. I scored 5 (early to middle problem drinker). I have done others where results were clearly on the alcoholism side of the spectrum. I know alcohol is taking over my life. I know it is still a hidden problem from others but not from me. I do not drink like others drink. Everyday I thought of when I would drink the next one... Everytime I drink I am there looking how others seem to drink so slowly and expecting the magic moment when another round/bottle will be ordered/opened.

From this forum, my experience and other sources of information I have got to the conclusion that alcohol is a real problem for me, that I am on some kind of trip towards alcoholism with external consequences instead of my hidden one. I know too that it has been VERY difficult not to drink the last 7 days and I am not bored or lonely or anything. I have decided to stop before I can answer yes to the 20 questions of the test. Many people here wished they had step on the wagon of recovery earlier. As far as I am concerned two facts are important:

1. My drinking was not healthy. With dry days in the week I would still be well over the limit considered healthy. I have always lied to doctors when asked about my amount of drinking and I would only stop after one or two drinks if there were not more booze available.

2. I have never thought in the morning 'I wish I had drunk last night'....Any day without booze has always made me feel better in the morning. Cannot tell you how many times I have regretted and panicked about drinking the night before.

Good luck in this journey of finding yourself