View Single Post
Old 06-21-2010, 12:23 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Dee74
Administrator

I was once like you. I drank and smoked due to boredom too.

Looking back now tho, I know there are many other folks who are bored who don't drink or smoke - they take up a hobby, they try new things, they mix up their lives a little.

For me it wasn't really boredom (or sadness, or anger, or reward, or cos that guy who flipped me off, or cos the guys came round, or cos my gf and I had a fight)

I drank because I liked drinking, and I drank because I liked it too much..

All my friends drank and I liked that too cos it made me look good by comparison.

I didn't think I could stop either. So I didn't.

The thing is...things never stay static...I thought they would...I drank for over 10 years at the same intervals the same volume...

Then things changed...I didn't have a bad reputation until I did; I didn't miss days at work and appointments...until I did...

Eventually, I developed a problem bad enough to drink all day every day and nearly end up dead over it.

You may find it hard to see yourself in my shoes, but it's more than a possibility.

Like Melinda says, you should really see a Dr, insurance or not - your health should be above such concerns IMO but it's up to you.

There are lots of free recovery groups out there - AA's the biggest and most available but it's not the only one.

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...resources.html

If you're concerned enough to do something, and cash is the thing stopping you, I'd make something like that your first step.

D