Old 06-19-2010, 02:29 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
intention
Don't resist, allow

Hi Darklide,

I suppose in theory, with training, it is possible to become an addictions counsellor. I am sure you could find it a very rewarding and challenging career. I could also imagine it could be very frustrating and disheartening too.

One of the reasons why so many alcoholics and addicts find the help they need in AA and NA is that get to talk directly to people who understand exactly how it feels to be addicted. In the early days this is the thing which keeps them coming back.

As a recovered alcoholic in AA, I can help other alcoholics and show them how I got sober. I can't keep them sober or save them and if they die because they can't quit drinking, I understand why.

Would you be able to enjoy a job which mean that you watched people die who you couldn't help? If you understood why they drink/drug then yes you probably still could enjoy your job and know you were doing what you could and helping some, at least.

If you don't understand why they still drink/drug despite all your help, would you still be able to enjoy your job and find satisfaction/purpose?

If you choose this career, I would guess you would come up against addicts who question qualifications for the job. That doesn't mean that they are wrong but I think you need to go into the job with your eyes wide open that it will happen regularly and you will have to deal with it

Whatever you choose to do, good luck.