Old 06-17-2010, 08:07 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
treadingwater

Originally Posted by dgillz View Post
Did he mention what about the 12 step program he did not like? A lot of people struggle with the "powerless", the "disease" or the "higher power" concepts in 12 step programs.

Yes, his first experience with rehab was at a well known drug rehab here in Atlanta. He did not like the group setting and he says the cult mentality.
I do know that he was a bit irritated with one of the counselor's that would shut him down when he would express himself in the sessions. He felt like they were not listening to him and that they weren't interested in listening to him.
My son is articulate and can express himself quite well, even if I don't agree with his reality. He felt like this rehab was not wanting any challenge/resistance and wanted everyone to conform especially in a group setting. So yes he felt like it was CULT like.
In fairness to the rehab... I think this experience gave my son the ammunition he was looking for to continue his denial. I truly believe if you really want to get better you will go the extra mile and take what is offered.

To, at this time we were just becoming aware of his problem and did not realize how bad it really was. At that time he was an underage drinker, and self medicating with OTC meds. He kept trying to fool us, and for awhile it worked.

Boy he had us fooled!!

Now it's been going on 3+ years and we have been through a lot with him. From our point of view he has exercised very little discipline in his addictive behavior and so it seems our roller coaster is very out of control.