Old 06-17-2010, 04:12 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
treadingwater

HLEP.....Traditional vs. Non-Traditional rehab

Help??

Our son is 21 and has been using throughout his teen years with the last few years really spiraling out of control.
In the past he said his drug of choice was alcohol. Not so, he will use OTC, drugs to get a high... dxm, coricidron, sleep aids, lsa, acid, cocaine...and now these past 3 months he spent all of his money on heroin.

In the past he's been to inpatient rehab/12 step, a wilderness program and also a therapuetic community, even did a couple visits to jail, one stint for 4 months.
He has failed to stay clean, and his use has escalated to a point if he doesn't snap out of it he will not be around. He's been to the hospital 3x this month.

We know that he is the only one that can change himself and decide to stay clean.

He is currently in a crisis unit and will be getting out in the next couple of days. (I am scared to death for him)
The crisis unit is wanting him to go to an inpatient rehab, but he is not open to it at all. He is adamant about getting on suboxone and doing it his way.
Since he is no longer attending college he is no longer covered by our insurance. We all know how expensive rehab can be.

My question is how many people have had success NOT going through a traditional 12 step program?
How many have used this drug suboxone and how successful were you on it?
I have been reading all I can on this legal substitute.

My husband has told him he can not come to our home without a plan, and he can not use in our house. He has no job and no means at this point to support himself. You'd think what he's been thorough would scare him clean.

Are addicts that unemotionally dettached??? Lord I pray for him!