View Single Post
Old 06-17-2010, 10:27 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
littlefish

What a confusing situation! I listened to a great AA speaker a couple of weeks ago who dropped a stray comment in the middle of his talk: "Sometimes they want us to keep drinking".

I'll just throw out a couple of things here: my husband didn't want me to quit because he wanted to hold on to his #1 drinking buddy, but he wanted me to quit because my life had become unmanageable and I was making our home life a complete mess. He is not an alcoholic either, but he married one.

Although most of us want to think that our partners will be overjoyed that we quit, it may not seem so to them, on a gut level. Maybe on the intellectual level they know it's right, but for many of them, they married us when we were drinkers. And the drunk is the familiar person.

It's very possible your wife is wondering who she is going to be married to now that she is not married to the drunk anymore. I went through some massive changes and they were not all pretty. My husband did try to sabotage my sobriety a few times and I can only guess that maybe he just wanted the old wife back.

When we get sober, it can be scary for our partners.

I'm guessing your wife is having mixed feelings. Maybe you were an unbearable dry drunk (I know I was), and she doesn't want to go through that again.
Maybe you should talk to her and explain that this time, you are feeling positive about your recovery and it's a good thing?