View Single Post
Old 06-12-2010, 10:14 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
lizw
God's Kid

I am reminded of the expression, 'when you sober up a drunken horse theif, you still have a horse theif.' I'm not saying you're 'a theif' rather 'old habits die hard.'

I owed an outrageous amount of money to debt collectors etc...and made arrangements to pay it all back (step 9) and beleive, if I remember correctly, I wrote them 'an honest letter' and gave them all my previous addresses and said send me the bill. It took forever to pay it back but I did it.

Here in NZ they actually have a court process where the court can take all your debt and make an order that you pay 'this much' instead of what any debtors try to make you pay as they want their money back as faster as possible which puts more pressure on a person. A friend of my did this with her step nine and I wished I'd known about it when I did mine. Dunno if they have something similar in Oz. You could probably try a community centre who offers budget advice. They'd know.

Recovery is also about learning how to live differently and more honestly and everyone seems to have a different level of honesty. What I think is dishonest, you may not find dishonest but to find this stuff out one's got to begin working through the steps with a sponsor.

While 90 meetings in 90 days may make you feel good, I'm sorry to say it won't clear your debt. : )