Old 06-12-2010, 06:28 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
intention
Don't resist, allow

Originally Posted by Severian View Post
It's not AA or 12-stepping that I am not comfortable with, but rather some of the actual people that I have met who make it feel - as you said - cultish. I think they mean well, and AA probably saved their lives, but the "you're a slimy worm and if you don't start 12-stepping in the next 2 hours you'll choke to death in a pool of your own vomit by week's end and if you don't believe me you're in denial and if AA doesn't work for you it's because you screwed it up" attitude they project can be rather off-putting.
Hi Severian,

If you ever do decide to go back, then I really would suggest trying out different meetings. You do get a whole range of people in AA - the one common bond we have is that we are alcoholics.

I have never experienced what you have. I work the 12 step program. It saved my life and as you can imagine, I am passionate about that. I love the way that I live now that I work these steps. I have a great deal of enthusiasm for it and I do tell people - it's actually Step 12 that I am working when I do tell people.

But there are plenty of people in AA who don't work the 12 steps. Although it didn't work for me, for them it works just to go to meetings and be around the fellowship. I have friends in AA like that - I give them just as a big hug as I do those who are working the 12 Steps.