View Single Post
Old 06-09-2010, 09:33 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Chops

Talking

I've found that the vast majority of people out there really don't give a crap about the specifics of my life. Imagine that! haha! I'm doing well, that's good. I'm doing bad, that's too bad. That's about the extent of most personal interactions outside my family, close friends, and fellow NA members. I'm not nearly as important as i thought i was in my ego-centric grandiose world of active addiction, and thank god for that!
Quoted for truth!

I was a scab on the rear of society at the end and I had no buddies drinking or otherwise so that was not a concern for me. :-)

The people who care will notice (the positive change), you don't have to say a thing.

Once everyone knew, it set up a kind of mental defense against the first drink for me. Now, I have exaggerated self importance and in this case it helped. This ego trip I am on has lessened but is by no means gone in sobriety. I imagined what people (especially fellow AAs) would think if I drank and it kept me away from the bottle on a few occasions.

I think of it as a character defect not lifted for my own protection.

PS the only two reactions I ever get to me saying I quit drinking are "Thank God" and "its about time."