View Single Post
Old 06-09-2010, 01:08 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
laurie6781
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

I think this is a pretty common concern with most of us when we first try for sobriety and/or gain a little time.

I personally did not tell any of my 'old drinking buddies' probably because I stopped going where they were. I learned by 'hanging' with other sober folks that I would probably lose my 'old friend' (translation - drinking buddies).

As to my family, there was no reason to tell them, as they had given up hope on me a long time before I stopped.

I had a sponsor who gently kept reminding me to STAY IN TODAY or I would miss so much. One Day At A Time, became my mantra. That one day at a time has now amounted to 10,594 days (29 years). They do mount up and in the process have given me a life I would never have dreamed was possible.

I was always a GREAT STARTER on any and everything I tried but was was a CHITTY FINISHER on all until I found sobriety. On this I believe I have 'stuck to it.' I am not a failure and you don't have to be either!

Thank you for starting this thread ...................... it's a great reminder to me of what it was like!

Love and hugs,