Thread: Depression
View Single Post
Old 06-08-2010, 06:39 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Hope4Recovery

For me, the depression was worse while drinking but easier to ignore. I have only been clean for a little over a month and now i am facing my issues while before I was just trying to forget about things. Haven't had any suicidal thoughts since being sober - feeling generally more optimistic and hopeful. Took Lexapro in the past which helped relieve depression, anxiety, and reduce the urges to drink and smoke cigarettes. i stopped the Lexapro so i could drink again. Also took Wellbutrin which really lifted my mood almost immediately. Stopped this to drink as well. This time I'm trying sobriety without meds. Coming off of SSRI's (Lexapro) is not easy. Coming off of Wellbutrin was not a problem (different type of anti- depressant). Anti-depressants are very effective but have their drawbacks. Meds have their place for many of us but i am trying to return to how i felt as a child, before i had to deal with any emotional distress, drinking on non-drinking related. i wish you well and congrats on the 6 months!