View Single Post
Old 06-08-2010, 11:16 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
augustwest
dopeless hope fiend

When i made the decision to finally quit i just told those that are closest to me what was going on. I found that they all were glad that i'd made that decision. Many i had thought didn't know my problem(lol) expressed happiness that i was quitting. Nobody asked why.

I also informed via phone or text my using "friends" that i was out and to please not call me. They all obliged.

I didn't make it known to people in general at first. As a few months passed and i began to look and behave quite differently i became willing to share with most people what i've done with my life.

With some, i simply say i've made a decision to be healthy today. With others there has been full disclosure. I think only the individual can determnine who falls under what category.

I do know that for me the only thing that keeps me clean is my desire to do whatever it takes to not drink or use drugs one day at a time. Accountability is fine, and it provides some help i suppose, but i can easily lie my ass off to anyone, and i did in the past.

This is about me and my self honesty with my intentions and actions on a daily basis. I've reached a place where i have no shame or guilt over the fact that i'm an addict but i still do not share my story with everyone. It simply depends on the person and circumstances. I've found that the vast majority of people out there really don't give a crap about the specifics of my life. Imagine that! haha! I'm doing well, that's good. I'm doing bad, that's too bad. That's about the extent of most personal interactions outside my family, close friends, and fellow NA members. I'm not nearly as important as i thought i was in my ego-centric grandiose world of active addiction, and thank god for that!