View Single Post
Old 06-07-2010, 05:15 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
NEOMARXIST

I've been looking forward to the world cup for ages now!! I always love the Euro championships and the World Cups.

This will be the first major Football event where I will be sober throughout.

I will not be watching the football in Pubs this year. That would have deeply pained me earlier in my sobriety but I have now reached a point of acceptance whereby I know that Pubs and World cup football just ain't for alcoholics. I ain't even gonna bother.

The last World cup and the Euro championship prior to that I watched every game in the pubs with my mates and I truly Loved every second of it. I was a real 'lads lad' and loved the sing-songs and madness when England Scored. i was up the front instigating it all! Pint in hand ready to throw in the air! (plastic cups obviously! haha)

I am glad I had those experinces but since then my drinking progressed to daily drinking for 2/3 days and well, I became an active alcoholic. My use of Cocaine really took off so an England game at the pub would have probably ended up costing me more than a ticket to S.Africa!! LOL. Well not quite but I bet I wouldn't have got much change out of £150-£200 quid.

I am looking forward to the Football and I am so grateful that the thought of not drinking doesn't bother me. I will say it again that what keeps me gratefully sober on these occassions is my total acceptance that without doubt I'm an alcoholic. Also that I have pride in being a recovering alcoholic rather than just another drunk.

If I drank watching the football then I wouldn't stop drinking and drugging for about 3 days. I would probably totally destroy my life in those 3 days too. The irony is that I enjoy the football more sober anyway.

Peace