View Single Post
Old 06-07-2010, 04:51 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
intention
Don't resist, allow

A Sober World Cup

The 2010 World Cup starts on Friday. I don't know about the rest of the world but England has gone mad for it.

Everywhere you go the English flag, the St George's cross is flying. All the stores are full of everything to buy you could possibly think of - if they can put the flag on it, it's on it and it's for sale!!

I've lived through some World Cups but I have never seen anything like this!

I don't even think there is much space in my local supermarket because they have had to make way for all the beer. Cases and cases of it stacked everywhere like never before. I'm actually glad that I am sober because I know what I would be doing if I wasn't - it would be a month of solid drinking and I am not even that interested in the football.

I am sure there will be plenty of people checking into SR when those around them are doing nothing but watching TV and drinking alcohol. It is possible to stay sober during the festivities and still enjoy the sport. We can all help each other do this.

For those who need some face to face support as well as online when everyone around them is drinking, do think about going to an AA meeting. You don't have to do anything at a meeting, you don't have to say anything. You will be welcomed in with a cup of coffee or tea and maybe something to eat.

You may have heard that we say a prayer in meetings but again you don't have to join in if it is not for you. No-one is going to make you say God or believe in him or anything else for that matter. The people in AA would rather any alcoholic was in a meeting safe rather than out there with everyone around drinking.

I know AA is not for everyone but even if you have ruled out for you for the long term, you are still welcome to come to a meeting if you need to get away from the drinkers and you are feeling desperate and alone. The only requirement for membership is a desire to stop drinking.

I'm sure there will be plenty of AAs getting together to watch matches without drinking alcohol. The unity of the fellowship of AA can really save lives.

I am going to put a flag on my car now and look forward to enjoying what's going to happen in the next month, sober. Enjoy everyone