Thread: Honesty
View Single Post
Old 06-06-2010, 04:50 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Music

Well, I have to admit you're being honest if what you said is really how you feel.

I still remember my first "wow" factor. I'd been sober about 6 months and out of the blue one day I was riding with my sponsor to a meeting and it dawned on me I hadn't thought about drinking in several weeks. I thought something's really working here. I used to not be able to go 6 days, sometimes 6 hours.

I think "wow" momments are similar to having a "spiritual awakening" in that some people expect fireworks, bells ringing, thunder, lightening and stars whirling around in their head before they admit something's happened. I find wow momments in a lot of ways simply because I look for them and choose to think of them as such. For instance, I saw a pair of Canada geese walking along the other day with their five kids and thought "wow, isn't that cool?" There was a time when I wouldn't have seen them 'cause I'd be sitting in a dark bar somewhere trying to come up with a story to tell my wife. I saw a mother deer yesterday with her fawn which couldn't have been any bigger than a midsize dog and thought the same thing. I've met so many people in and out of AA that have touched me in a way I would've missed had I been drinking. I guess it's all in the expectations. I don't expect much so when something happens I really appreciate it. My wife and I came into AA and got sober when we were married about 15 years, had 3 young kids...13, 11, and 6. Today the kids are 46, 44, and almost 40. They've given us 10 grandkids and 2 great-grandkids and we'll be married 48 years this coming December. To me those are all "wow" factors, 'cause if I'd been drinking, chances are I'd never lived long enough to be able to appreciate my family. Like I said, I guess it all boils down to what a person's looking for in a "wow" momment.