View Single Post
Old 06-03-2010, 05:50 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Pagekeeper

Knowing God's Will

Sought through prayer and meditation to improve our conscious contact with God as we understood Him, praying only for knowledge of His will for us and the power to carry that out.
Step 11, pg 59

Step 11 suggests we can know God's will for us, and in fact, that we should only be praying to know the will of God for us as well as the power to carry that will out.

[. . .] we ask God to direct our thinking, especially asking that it be divorced from self-pity, dishonest or self-seeking motives.
My experience is that I fair much better when I ask myself if I have self-pitying, dishonest or self-seeking motives in a given situation. Asking myself these questions helps me to determine what God's will is for me. I used to be under the impression that I only needed to seek my higher power's will in the big decisions and happenings of life, but I stand corrected. Seemingly trivial things are just as important because frankly the trivial things these days outnumber the big things. And that is a good thing!

[ . . .] we be shown all through the day what our next step is to be, that we be given whatever we need to take care of such problems.
pg 87

Not sure I always know what God's will for me is, but I often know what it isn't. I do know this much: God's will for me is in the moment. It's in the Now. When the wheels start turning up there in my head and I start planning results, that is my will, not God's. I can only know God's will for me in the Now, because plans and goals are subject to change at any time.

---

To what extent do you, throughout your day, know God's will for you? Is it something you consciously think about as you go about your day?

I'm off to the gym: definitely God's will for me.