Thread: Aa
View Single Post
Old 06-02-2010, 09:34 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
kelsh

Thumbs up Beginning the AA Program....

Hi Sleepie,

I remember going to my first AA Meeting when I had decided I was going to quit drinking with help & follow the suggestions. We are a small & rural community but did have meetings every evening but one & two at noon. The woman's group I went to was at eleven until noon so on Monday's I took my lunch hour then.

I can remember my shaking hands & voice, my red face, my irritabillity, & restlessness. I couldn't understand why everything was repeated so many times. It wasn't long before I discovered that there was a reason to repeat the slogans, & all the readings before the meeting...."my mind was so overwhelmed with everything that I wasn't able to concentrate on any one thing."

One of my daughter-in-laws was showing me her face-book page & she had the Serenity Prayer on it. It surprised me so much...it is one of her favorite prayers & she isn't an alcoholic but when she was still married to my son..he was a practicing alcoholic.

The Serenity Prayer is still a very much part of my life today. With 21 years of Sobriety I still use it daily & it works for me plus a lot of other tools in my box of Slogans, Sayings, Prayers, & Meditations. I have chronic depression & anxiety that is a daily mood altering check-in to see where I am for that day & remembering to take my medication for depression.

Keep coming back. SR is a good place to come to along with your AA Meetings. When I was first sober I needed other sober people to be with & it worked to get to the meetings a little early & stay a little after the meeting.
Since I live in a small town it seemed like I saw many AA people out & about during the day...it was a wonderful feeling to know I had AA friends. :ghug3

kelsh